Stuart Bauer, MD: I am a senior associate in the Department of Urology at Children’s Hospital Boston. I’ve been at Children’s thirty-three years. I’ve been instrumental in developing the Myelodysplasia Program over this time span, and now I am director of the Voiding Improvement Program for children who have functional or non-anatomic non-neurological problems relating to urinary incontinence.


Carlos Estrada, MD: I staff the Spina Bifida (or Myelodysplasia) Clinic, and I see general urology patients as well. The Spina Bifida Program sees kids with spina bifida, almost all of whom require intermittent catheterization. Many of them have very diseased bladders that require lifelong care.


Richard Lee, MD: I’m a urology attending, so I treat all kids with urologic problems, both operatively and clinically. I probably spend 60% of my time clinically. The other 40% of the time I spend in the lab. For the clinical part, it’s half in the office, half in the operating room. I’ll deal with the very complicated conditions, such as myelomeningocele and kids who need large surgeries, to less complicated outpatient work. I do quite a bit with catheterization also.


Joseph Borer, MD: Major reconstruction is my big interest, and many of those patients require clean intermittent catheterization. Spina bifida patients, exstrophy patients, epispadias patients quite often need help in this way, where the bladder function of emptying is insufficient or inadequate.


Diane Manning, BSN, RN, CPN: I’m a nurse in the urology department. I see patients in clinic, do procedures, and provide CIC teaching. I also do a lot of phone triage: I talk to patients and families over the phone regarding catheterization, pre/post-op, and any concerns they may have.


Rosemary Grant, BSN, RN: I’m the clinical coordinator in the Department of Urology, and I’m responsible for all patient care in the outpatient setting, so my role is multifaceted. It involves managerial work. I do a significant amount of telephone triage, and see many patients in conjunction with our physicians. I tend to take care of patients who have had complex urinary reconstruction with underlying diagnoses of bladder exstrophy, cloacal exstrophy, and cloacal anomaly. I also work with some of our physicians through our CUB program, which is Continence of Urine and Bowel, as well as the GeMS program, which is our gender management service. So I see a variety of patients, and oversee all clinical practice here in the department.


Pam Kelly, MS, RNC, PNP: I’m a nurse practitioner. I’m the clinical coordinator of Urodynamics and of the Voiding Improvement Program. The Voiding Improvement Program, or VIP, is a clinic within a clinic, a subspecialty within Urology, where I see kids with dysfunctional voiding patterns. There’s an attending urologist who works with me in the VIP clinic, but as a nurse practitioner I see patients independently and I manage their care. I do a full physical assessment and evaluation for kids that come in with a diagnosis of some form of incontinence, wetting, urinary urgency, frequency, recurring infections – any of those things.


Rebecca Sherlock, MSN, PNP: I am the clinical coordinator for the Myelodysplasia Program. I’m a nurse practitioner, which is new for the Myelodysplasia Program. I coordinate all the care and triage all kind of calls during the week when families aren’t actually in clinic